Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Friday, August 15, 2014

{Hidden Baby Chronicles} 14 Weeks - A Lemon

June 19, 2014

Hello 2nd Trimester!!  That seems impossible, but here I am!  There is a certain sense of relief making it to this milestone.  I can't believe it means that I'm already 1/3 done with this pregnancy.  What?!


Photo Thoughts: Sporting the new "regular shorts" that I broke down and bought last week in a size up from my usual.  So much happier about life when the waist band of your bottoms isn't always a source of discomfort.  You can definitely see my expanding lower belly in this picture, but it's also part dinner-baby, part thick waist band of the shorts.  Spent a lot of time this week on the phone and on FaceTime sharing our announcement with family, so that's what I'm making reference to in that last photo.  Also, these weekly photos are also totally going to serve as a "watch my hair grow" series. In January, it was barely past my chin!

How I'm Feeling:  Still the annoying preggo that feels really good and has very few symptoms.  Sorry?... I have been starting to have some self-conscious, "oh my god, my body is about to change a lot and I can't control it" moments that have been making me feel kind of down.  But I'm trying not to obsess too much about it.  I'm growing a baby for crying out loud!

Baby/Bump: Baby H is the size of a lemon this week (a rather large, 3 inch + lemon) this week!  The baby's weight almost doubled from last week, which is pretty impressive!  The baby can wiggle his/her fingers and toes, and can even suck his/her little thumb.  He/she is also growing fuzzy baby hair (lanugo) all over its body to keep warm... I'll blame this one on my husband's Middle-Eastern herirage :-) 


Symptoms: More bloating/filling out in the waist area.  Still nothing even beginning to resemble a baby bump, but its definitely enough to keep me tugging at my shirts wishing for more length and unbuttoning my pants just about everyday.  My wardrobe is starting to become somewhat limited.  I'm not in any rush for the baby bump to appear, but I do think I will be somewhat relived when it does, because then I will be out of this awkward in between phase as far as growing out of my "normal clothes" but not being quite ready for maternity wear yet. 

Weight: +4.0  I officially kept my first tri weight gain under five pounds- wahoo!  It's seriously startling/unbelievable/scary to read that they recommend about a pound a week weight gain from here on out...

What I'm Anticipating: Now that most of our family members know about Baby H., I'm definitely looking forward to sharing the news with our friends! 

What I'm Stressing About/Worries: A little vain, but I'm going to go ahead and say it... I'm starting to get a little nervous about the prospect of the impending weight gain that is in my very near future.  I haven't gained much yet, but my clothes are already feeling all around uncomfortable, so I guess I feel like it's more.  I know it's all for good reason, but it's still a hard concept to wrap my head around all the changes that are truly beyond me control. 

Diet/Cravings/Aversions: I have yet to have any real cravings as in "I have to have x right this very minute."  But I have noticed that my general preferences seem to be more toward salty foods.  Which is so strange to me since I have always had such a huge sweet tooth.  I'm all about pretzels, crackers, cheese, etc. recently. 

Sleep: So good, I can barely even pull myself out of bed in the morning.  I have always been a stomach sleeper- I just can't fall asleep any other way, so I always wondered if I would sleep horribly once pregnant and not able to sleep on my stomach anymore.  I asked my doctor if I needed to stop sleeping on my stomach, and he basically said that as long as I was comfortable I'm fine.  He went to say, "when you get to looking like a see-saw on your stomach, that's when you need to stop."  So I'm interested to see how much longer my stomach-sleeping ways will last. 

Movement:  Too early for that!  But it's fun to think that that milestone will happen sometime this trimester. 

Boy or Girl:  Who knows?  My mom thinks it's a boy.  I haven't had any real intuition regarding the gender since the last ultrasound when I had a strong boy feeling.  I'm pretty 50/50 now. 

Milestones: 2nd trimester, baby!  I feel pretty legit now. 

Highlights of the Week: Several highlights this week!
-David's first Father's Day!  I think we will both feel a little more into celebrating next year when we have a real life baby in front of us!


-We told David's family about the baby while we were in Austin for Father's Day.  This was something I had been nervous about, but it actually went really well.  They were very surprised and so excited.  And they definitely understood our request for wanting to keep things to just family and close friends for a while longer.  Like I mentioned last week, David's sister ended up being in Austin that weekend too, so I got to tell her in person.  I pulled her aside and told her one-on-one, and she was so excited!  I'm not sure if I mentioned on here before, but Renee and I were friends long before David was even in my life.  Now I'm lucky to have one of my best friends as a sister-in-law, and so it was extra special to be able to tell her the news myself.  Later that evening, we gave David's dad his Father's Day present (an "I Love My Grandparents" onesie).  He had such a surprised look on his face when he realized what it was, and immediately said, "Are you pregnant?!" Then he got up and gave everyone high-fives.  I have that on video, too- I can't wait to put all my videos together and share everyone's reactions.

Since Renee ended up flying out of town before her gift arrived, I had her boyfriend open it and take a picture for me so I could show it to her when I told her in person.  Their cat Izzy is modeling the onesie here.
-After David's parents were in on the news, we started telling the rest of the extended family.  It was fun to call my aunts and uncles, cousins, etc.  I was able to FaceTime with my grandma (Mimi) on Thursday night, and she was so so excited!  She was a little weepy, but just so happy.  It will be her second time as a great-grandmother.  It was fun to talk to her about how much she loved being pregnant with each of her five children.  It really is such a fun experience to be able to tell your close family and friends that you're having a baby- there's not really another experience like it.  It's so cool to see people's excitement and happiness for you. 

 photo signature.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!