Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Thursday, August 14, 2014

{Hidden Baby Chronicles} 12 Weeks - A Plum

June 5, 2014

Twelve whole weeks!  A full dozen!  For some reason this twelve week mark seemed somewhat monumental.  It brought with it a lot of relief of some of the worry I've had up until now- a lot of that having to do with getting to see a healthy, bouncing baby with a good, strong heart beat at our ultrasound last week. 


Photo Thoughts:  Just like last week, I'm still pretty sure the little "bump" that I'm showing off here is about 90% bloat and/or the effect of taking this photo at the end of the day after three full meals.  If I pose the same way in the morning, that food baby is nowhere to be seen.  But hey, at least I have a good excuse for a "food baby" belly now :-) 

How I'm Feeling: Still really good- kind of great, even.  And now that I have mostly stopped being paranoid that my lack of symptoms means something must be wrong, I'm able to truly realize how lucky I am to feel so great.  I'm definitely grateful for that!

Baby/Bump:  This week, baby is the size of a plum!  Baby is mostly done developing its major organs and systems, so from here on out, it's mostly about everything getting bigger and more mature.  Crazy that a basically fully formed human the size of a plum is in there!  Reflexes are also developing and baby is opening and closing his/her fingers and toes.  Grow little plum, grow!


Symptoms: Again, still very few.  I did notice this week that I'm back to getting dizzy and seeing stars very easily if I stand up too quickly.  I also has one evening where I was very disinterested in eating at all and felt kind of nauseous.  I figured out quickly though that it was because I had let myself get too hungry, and that is what brought on the waves of nausea.  Poor David has been working really late the past few weeks, and I've usually just been waiting to eat dinner with him once he gets home.  So I guess now I just need to go ahead and eat or have a snack while I'm waiting.  Still having weird dreams and still getting up once a night to use the bathroom.  Oh, and I'm getting some lovely pregnancy acne. Yay.

Weight: +4.0.  I'd really love to keep it under a five pound weight gain for the first trimester...

What I'm Anticipating: I've been working on getting together the "props" for our announcement to David's parents and our siblings.  I'm not all that creative, so everyone is getting a onesie of the "I Love My ___" variety.  I think I've done a really good job of keeping the secret, so everyone should be very surprised.  We will tell our siblings this coming week, before we head to Austin for Father's  Day and our announcement to David's parents.  I'm really excited, but also strangely nervous. 


What I'm Stressing About/Worries:  I definitely am feeling a lot less worried since the ultrasound last week, but I'm still a little bit anxious about waiting to get the results back from the blood work/NT test that they did at that same appointment.  I will get those results at my monthly OB appointment next week.

Diet/Cravings/Aversions: I just had one evening this week where everything food related was an aversion.  But that didn't last long!  I'm still having to choke down salads though.  I try to make a small side salad with dinner each night, but I usually just give up after it's about halfway gone.  Yuck!  Sorry, baby.

Sleep: Love it!  Still really weird dreams, still waking up once a night, and still really hard to get out of bed. 

Exercise:  Really proud that I'm still sticking to 6 days a week.  Although I'm definitely having to take more frequent breaks than in the past. 

Movement:  WAYYYYY too early for me to feel this, and it seems like a so long away before I will be able to start feeling any movement.  I'm sure it will be here before I know it though.  

Boy or Girl: Too early to know, but we will definitely find out.

Highlights of the Week: I took the day off of work on Friday and went with my friend Lori to visit another friend, Kim, who lives about an hour and a half outside of Houston.  Kim and Lori are friends that I met in Australia, so it's fun to be back in (kind of) in the same place!  Kim has a new baby boy that we wanted to meet, and Lori has an adorable five month old.  It was fun to be around Kim's 2 boys, and Lori's little girl and to imagine adding my own little one to their mix.  Kim's older son and Lori's daughter are almost exactly a year apart.  And with my due date being mid-December, our little one will be born almost the same time, but another year later.  So we will have a two-year old, a one-year old, and a newborn around Christmas time!  It was a fun visit, and SO amazing to hold a newborn.  It still seemed unreal that I'll have one of my own soon enough.  Kim was also nice enough to loan me some of her maternity clothes, too.  It's so funny to see the waist band of those pants!  I have yet to try them on, because I'm not quite to that point yet, but I'm afraid it won't be long...

Actually FOUR babies in this photo! :-)
 
That's a wrap for week 12!  


 photo signature.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Well, hey, congratulations!! Such wonderful news!! This will be one loved little baby. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!