Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Friday, April 18, 2014

Austin Weekend

Aside from running ten miles last weekend, I also managed to have some fun while in Austin for the weekend.  David and I drove over on Friday afternoon.  This is usually a great time of year to go for a drive outside of Houston and Austin, because it's bluebonnet season (Texas' state flower).  The bluebonnets didn't disappoint- they (and more Indian Paintbrush than I remember seeing in previous years) were everywhere! But unfortunately, we didn't have time to stop for the mandatory photo in bluebonnet fields. 


A photo from the car was the best I got this year


Since I didn't get a bluebonnet photo this year, here's one from a few years ago. 
That evening we met up with one of David's college friends and his wife for dinner in downtown Austin.  Then we had some drinks at a few bars while we killed time waiting to pick up David's sister at the airport at 1AM.  We stumbled upon a cute outdoor/patio bar that had a really great live band. 


After picking up our race packets on Saturday afternoon, we rented water bikes on Lake Austin.  It was a beautiful day to be out on the lake.  And although I was a little skeptical, the water bikes were really fun- and super easy to maneuver.  They even guarantee they won't tip over- which sold me, since I was definitely not in appropriate clothes for being on the water. 




After water biking, I insisted that we get ice cream at Lick Ice Cream- I had heard about it from an Austin blogger, and I'd been dying to try their crazy ice cream flavors.  Lick didn't disappoint- if you are ever in Austin, you must try it!  It's a really cute little shop with very friendly staff and locally farmed ingredients.  The best part is their flavor choices- they're like nothing you'd ever expect to have in ice cream, but they are DELICIOUS. 

 
These are only about half of the flavors
 
 

My choices: Goat Cheese,Thyme, and Honey & Dark Chocolate, Olive Oil, and Sea Salt - AMAZING!!
 
This place is incredible... and I'm really not even that big of an ice cream person.  The next day during the race, at about mile 7, I decided that we would definitely be stopping by here again for more ice cream on our way out of town.  You know, to undo all the calorie burning I had just spent two hours doing.  WORTH IT!  This time I got a scoop of Cilantro Lime and a scoop of Coconut Avocado Curd.  I was skeptical of these flavors, but I liked them both- especially the cilantro lime!  Oh, and for any of you out there who live in Texas, they are now selling some of their flavors in pints at Central Market.  And I think cilantro lime is one of the ones being sold there now.  GET YOURSELF SOME.  You can thank me later. 
 
So that was about it for our short Austin weekend.  We drove back in rain, so we didn't get another opportunity for bluebonnet photos.  Oh well, there's always next year!  


 photo signature.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! I can't wait to head back to Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect Austin afternoon! I've lived in Austin for 6 years now and have never done a bluebonnet picture, even for the kids. Clearly I don't really have Texas in my bones. :/ And because I'm vegan I've never been to Lick, but it looks delicious. The dark chocolate, olive oil, sea salt combo sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an amazing discovery in Austin!!!! I love crazy flavor combinations so I'm very intrigued, especially with the goat cheese/thyme/honey and coconut avocado...thanks for the scoop hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing discovery in Austin!!!! I love crazy flavor combinations so I'm very intrigued, especially with the goat cheese/thyme/honey and coconut avocado...thanks for the scoop hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an amazing discovery in Austin!!!! I love crazy flavor combinations so I'm very intrigued, especially with the goat cheese/thyme/honey and coconut avocado...thanks for the scoop hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Austin. You guys are lucky to live so nearby. But...goat cheese ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun weekend in Austin. So proud of you for running the race!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!