Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Where I Come From

Back again for another month-long blogging challenge with Jenni at Story of My Life!  I participated with her last challenge, "Blog Every Day In May," and I really enjoyed it!  So I'm looking forward to this month's challenge!   

Tuesday, Sept. 3: Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are.

Gosh, this prompt could go so many different directions.  In quick summary style, I'll take a stab at answering each item...
...Where I came from: I'm a desert rate for sure- born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona.
...What I came from: A loving, hard-working family.
...The people I came from: My amazing parents, an older sister, and a younger brother.  Plus a slew of extended family spread across the U.S.
...The places that have influenced me: Phoenix, AZ; Spokane, WA; Granada, Spain; Los Angeles, CA; Houston, TX; and now Gladstone, Australia.
...The factors that make me, me: I'm a middle child, a former ballet dancer (15+ years), a special education teacher, a (very rusty) Spanish-speaker, a travel-lover, and an expat.

I could write for days about any of the items in this prompt.  However, I thought I'd focus on the places that I've come from and that have influenced me. 

I was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona.  I lived in the same home for the first 18 years of my life.  Phoenix will always be "home" for me.  My 18 years here made me a true desert rat who loves warm weather and would bet big money that no sunsets are prettier than Phoenix sunsets.  Phoenix is also where my husband and I were married almost three years ago. 

Can't beat a gorgeous desert landscape!


I moved away for the first time when I began college.  At the age of 18, Spokane, WA became my home, and I became a proud Gonzaga bulldog!  I made some of my best friends and best memories here. 

During my junior year of college, I studied abroad in Granada, Spain.  This was my first experience living abroad, and it was such an incredible experience.  It is here is where I probably got the travel bug that I still get bitten by even today :-) 

Can't believe I lived in a place where La Alhambra was practically in my backyard

After graduating college, I moved to Los Angeles, California where I became a Special Education teacher with Teach for America.  Living in Los Angeles made a lover of many things including: a good beach, big city life, and teaching in high-need communities.

L.A. skyline (on a shockingly clear day)

The view from the street I lived on.  Gosh, I miss it! 

I tore myself away from my beloved beach home in order to follow my heart to Houston, Texas.  After nearly a year and a half of long-distance, it was time for my now-husband and I to live in the same place- so Houston it was!  I was skeptical at first, but now I am a huge fan of Houston... and I miss it dearly. 

Our first home!

And now here I am in the little town of Gladstone, Queensland, Australia.  It's been one year now (you can read about my Aussie-versary here).  We will most likely be here for a while still... but I know that whenever we leave here, I will realize how formative my time here has been.  Just like each of the other places I've lived thus far have really and truly made me who I am.   

Tannum Sands- Our local beach

David and I on the Great Barrier Reef - a true Australian experience!



 photo signature.jpg

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe that you can actually see the mountains in the photo of LA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Found your blog through Blogtember...keep up the good work!

    claire
    www.wastingtimewisely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Off to check out your blogtember posts now :-)

      Delete
  3. Happy Aussie-versary! =) I have a question... when you lived in Houston, did you live in the Heights? Can't help but think I recognize your house! We lived in the Heights for several years. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always impressed by people who have the courage to pick up and move to so many different places! I love that you have such positive things to say about them, too. It can be so hard to make a new place feel like "home," especially when it's so different than what you had known before, but it sounds like you have really gotten so much out of each experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teriffic post! I'm so jelly you lived abroad in Spain! Awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spain was an incredible experience! You should definitely visit!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!