Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Monday, August 12, 2013

Kangaroos, Koalas, and Crocodiles... OH MY!

No trip to Australia is complete without a visit to see some of Australia's cuddly marsupials... and a few not so cuddly crocs, too.  And of course, I always insist that anyone who visits,  MUST partake in the near-nirvana experience of holding a koala.  So, off we went to the Koorana Crocodile Farm and the Cooberrie Wildlife Park

We started at the croc farm.  I hadn't visited this place yet, and I had heard great things about it and was really looking forward to it. Koorana Crocodile Farm is a family owned place, and the guy who owns is like the Steve Irwin of crocodiles.  It's really neat because he even does all the tours himself.  He was full of stories about crocodile encounters, rescues, and lots of croc factoids.  There was a day care group on the tour with us, and my favorite part was right at the beginning of the tour when he warned the kids that anything that hangs over or pokes through the fence is property of the crocodiles.  Needless to say, they were very well-behaved after that warning.  It's pretty insane that these reptiles have lived nearly since the time of dinosaurs, with little to no evolutionary changes.  At any rate, here's a little of what we saw.

  
 
 
 
 

Next, we headed to the Cooberrie Wildlife Park.  I couldn't wait for my parents to pet their first kangaroos and hug the heck out of a koala! 

Aussie Birds: Emu (these things freak me the heck out) and Cockatoo
Dingo
See its cute little spotted bum? Each koala's spots are unique and serve as camouflage while up in the trees (the spots resemble sun light and shadows coming through the branches)
Mom and Zorro the koala
Dad meets Zorro
Koalas need two thumbs for climbing and holding on tight to branches
I dare you to convince me that this is anything but a koala hugging me through a wall.
 
 
 
This one had a joey in its pouch!
This 'roo was very interested in my camera.  Kangaroo kiss?
 


I love how they sit with their paws crossed

 photo signature.jpg

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness you can hold a Koala. I think I died and went to cute-heaven. I thought they were somewhat vicious? Or maybe that's just wild ones? I'll make sure to clear that up before trying to climb up a tree to hug one, haha.
    www.thisanalogadventure.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Crocs scare me, but the koala makes up for everything:) so awesome they got to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I DEFINITELY have to make it to Aussie for some koala love! Do people ever tame them or have as pets? Oh and and that's an interesting tid-bit on their camouflage colors, I had no idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's illegal to have them as pets (much to my dismay). Queensland is the only Australian state that allows you to hold them. Although, I imagine it won't be long before it's prohibited here, too. They are just the cutest!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!