Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Boomerangs, Didgeridoos, and Caves

It doesn't take long to wear out the (incredibly short) list of things to do and places to see here in Gladstone.  Unfortunately, after you accomplish those things, you have to drive about an hour and half up to Rockhampton to access a wider range of sights and tourist activities.  So my parents and I made the drive up to Rocky for the second time during their trip.  This time on our agenda?  Aboriginal Dreamtime Culture Centre and the Capricorn Caves.

The Aboriginal Dreamtime Culture Centre is an indoor/outdoor museum of sorts, that has multiple exhibits focused on aboriginal history and culture in Australia.  It was really quite interesting, and aboriginal history is something I'd really like to learn more about while we're here.  We even got to hear a live didgeridoo demonstration and try out our skills at throwing real boomerangs!

 
 
Dad was a natural, of course
 

This trip to the Capricorn Caves made for my third time on this tour.  However, I really do like these caves, and it's a great place to bring visitors.  Plus, each time I've been on the tour, I've learned lots of new things.  My favorite part of this cave system is the "cathedral."  This is a part of the caves that really does resemble an actual cathedral.  In more recent years, they've even added things like pews, an altar, and steps for a choir to stand.  Because of this, the caves have become a popular destination for weddings AND because of the amazing acoustics, they hold opera and choir performances here as well.  Some people even say that the acoustics in this part of the caves are better than the acoustics in the Sydney Opera House.  Pretty neat!


Some of the massive fig tree roots that extend hundreds of meters into the caves and below the earth

Supposedly a very rare and endangered type of fern
Part of the cave that has a similar form as the continent of Australia
 
 
 
The way out of the caves
 


 photo signature.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Those caves are beautiful. And what a cool way in and out of them. Love little bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course dad was a boomerang master!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cool cave! The culture center sounds really interesting, definitely something I'd check out if I were in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember I loved teaching my class, from a few years ago, Aboriginal (dot) paintings which they loved and found it something they could really get into and do great artwork. They also loved looking at different examples of the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those caves are so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!