Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Time I Decided to Hurl Myself Off a Bridge

Bungy jumping.  Never have I ever had any desire to participate in this activity.  I always asserted that I would much rather skydive (if that even), than bungy jump.  To me, it just seemed absolutely terrifying.  Oh, and dangerous.  I couldn't imagine why anyone would willingly throw oneself off a perfectly good bridge (or any other structure for that matter).  Nope, not for me. 

When planning our New Zealand trip, it was clear from the beginning that bungy jumping would be one of the activities.  For one, Queenstown is home to  one of the best known bungy sites in the world- the Kawarau Bridge Bungy.  This bridge is also considered to be the first "official" bungy site in the world.  Also, our friend who lives in Queenstown (the one whose wedding we attended in NZ), happens to work in marketing for AJ Hackett Bungy Company, so she had agreed to come along and "host" bungy-ing for her friends who wanted to jump.  From the beginning, I said I wanted to go watch, but I knew I would not be jumping. 

AJ Hackett Kawarau Bungy Centre (too bad the Bungy Bar was closed)


Fast forward to Monday, March 25, 2013. 


I know, right?!  No idea how this happened!! That morning, I had unofficially signed myself up to be the photographer for the other girls who would be jumping.  However, we got to the site, and something came over me and I started to think...

What if I regret not jumping?...
If there would ever be a place to bungy, this would be it...
I know one of the employees here, and she knows all the operators, so it kind of feels comfortable...
They have a perfect safety record, and this place seems legit...

And next thing I knew, my cousin Lee Anne had set the form in front of me to jump tandem with her and then handed me a pen.  And there I was, signing my life away.  And off I went to the bridge.  Honestly, I think it actually helped quite a bit that I hadn't planned on jumping.  That way, I hadn't been worrying about it the night before or that morning.  I wasn't even nervous when they were strapping my legs in.  I must have been in denial/shock.  I truly did not get scared until I was standing at the edge of the platform.  And at that moment, I really did freak out.  I told the guy to untie me and that I didn't want to jump anymore.  I tried to sit back down.  I kept grabbing onto the railing next to me (so much so that an employee had to come and peel hold my hand off of it). 

This is the bridge from which I was about to hurl myself

 
Eek- the view from above!  Somehow I have to make it down there.

 
How we really felt |  Hiding fear with smiles
 
Believe it or not, I wasn't yet nervous at this point

 
I do not remember making the decision to actually leave that platform.  I must have either blacked out or (more likely) I think we may have gotten a gentle push.  All I know is that before I knew it, we were bouncing around at the end of our bungy frighteningly near the river below.  And no, that bounce/snap at the bottom point of your jump does not hurt- it's very smooth.  I didn't even open my eyes, until I felt that bounce.  But when I did, I just remember feeling a mix of excitement, relief, and disbelief.  We were quickly and smoothly lowered down into the boat below.  It took a few minutes before the craziness of what I did hit me- oddly, I started tearing up a little bit.  The adrenaline rush that everyone talks about is real.  And intense. (The photos below are the professional photos taken by the bungy company- they have an amazing camera system set up, and I'm SO glad I have these photos.) 

See my death grip on the rail?

 
Our friend Katie cheering us on

 
 
I love the perspective of this shot
 
 
 
 
 

 
Smiling!
 
Safe!  We did it!

I am really glad that I decided to jump.  I am normally such a wimp and very rarely, if ever do I take big risks.  But, I am really really proud that I did it!  Was it terrifying?  Absolutely.  But, even still, it was such a fun, amazing, thirlling, and unforgettable experience!  I definitely do not regret jumping.  Am I addicted now?  Am I an adrenaline junky?  Do I feel the need to jump again?  Nope.  Not in the least.  I honestly feel no desire whatsoever to bungy again- once is enough for me.  But.  I am so so so glad that I did! 

Watching this video still makes my stomach drop and my heart beat faster.  Oh, and side note- the only reason I would maybe consider jumping again is because as you'll see in this video, we did a wimpy feet first jump/drop- I totally wish I had been brave enough to dive.  Oh, and thanks to Lee Anne who was able to convince the bungy operators to play our requested jump song- "Sail" by AWOLNATION. 

*Well, I can't seem to get the video to upload correctly. :-(  I'll update with the video as soon as I get it figured out. 


5 comments:

  1. Girl, you are crazy... crazy... crazy but this is SO awesome!!! Trust me, I would have had a death grip on that railing too. And can we talk about those pictures? Those are going to be keepers for life. :) Congrats on checking bungie jumping off your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree- it WAS crazy. But I'm glad I did it, AND that I have awesome pictures to show for it. Bragging rights for sure :-)

      Delete
  2. SO AWESOME! That is one heck of a drop. I suspect this was absolutely mind blowing fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was surprisingly fun- but also just as terrifying as it looks :-)

      Delete
  3. Wish I could have jumped with you two! Do they allow three people at once!?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!