Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Everything In Australia Is Scary!

Before I moved to Australia, I was visiting one of my best friends from home, and her dad sat me down at the computer to show me some articles he had found about how many dangerous and deadly creatures live in Australia (I think they were trying to convince me not to leave).  It did freak me out a little bit, but I took it with a grain of salt.  And off I went to Australia.

Well, it was only a couple weeks after moving before I started to realize he might have been right when I had my first snake and big-as-your-palm-spider sighting, which I wrote about here.  I'm really not a squeamish person when it comes to bugs or other creatures, but Australia really takes it to a new level with their creepy crawlies.  I've quickly developed tendencies like refusing to enter the garage before the door is entirely open so that I have a clear escape route if there happens to be a snake in there, thoroughly inspecting the doorstep and any corners nearby before I will go out any door leading outside, inspecting my shoes for spiders before putting my foot in, etc.  I know it's kind of ridiculous- but in my mind, it's totally necessary.  Now, I realize every part of the world has dangerous animals and conditions, but it's almost comical how extreme many of these things are here.  And yes, Australia does also have many amazing and beautiful creatures, but still...

As if I needed further proof, just the other day, my dad sent me this list of "17 Pictures That Prove Absolutely Everything In Australia is Terrifying." 

See for yourself:

http://now.msn.com/australia-is-scary-a-gallery-of-terrifying-photos

8 comments:

  1. Ha! I wouldn't do so well there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful places like the Great Barrier Reef make up for it though!

      Delete
  2. I might be kinda into seeing a fire tornado. But that spider eating the bird will definitely haunt my dreams tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for bad dreams! Just look at some adorable koalas and kangaroos to counteract it :-)

      Delete
  3. I physically gagged when I saw half of these... but the "quaint frost" was the worst. Spiders... eeew!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! For me, the spiders are the worst! Luckily I've never seen anything THAT crazy... and I hope to keep it that way! :-)

      Delete
  4. Ciao! I found your blog through our mutual friend Jess(ica Lynn Writes) and am so excited to read about your adventures in Australia. It's definitely one of my Top 10 places to visit but this whole snake thing freaks.me.OUT! Hopefully the koalas and kangaroos make up for it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me! The koalas and kangaroos (and wombats!) totally make up for the creepy crawlies. :-) Australia is definitely an amazing place (although scary sometimes). I look forward to following along on your adventures now, too!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!