Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Saturday, February 02, 2013

The Bachelor Watch/Text Parties



I'm just going to come right out and say it- I am an avid Bachelor/Bachelorette watcher.  I'm not even going to try and make myself feel better about it by calling it a "guilty pleasure" or a "vice."  Because I don't feel bad about it- I downright enjoy it.  I look forward to it each week.  If you've known me for very long, you'll know that reality TV is my favorite genre of television, but I won't get into the giant list of shows on my must-watch list- for now.  I also have to admit that after I got over the initial shock that we were moving to Australia, one of my biggest concerns was truly, "How will I watch my reality TV shows?!"  But, gotta love my technology geek husband, he figured out a way for me to still have access to these shows from down under even before we moved.  Phew! 
*If you find yourself in this predicament while overseas, I've included a link at the bottom to the website that we use to "unblock" these typically US-only websites.

Anyways, I digress- back to the Bachelor.  I was truly disappointed when I learned that this season's bachelor would be Sean.  To me he's pretty boring, but of course I still feel obligated to watch each episode.  Don't worry, I don't take the show too seriously.  One of the best parts of watching is poking fun of the ridiculous situations, crazy amount of tears, and excessively dramatic situations among the contestants.  However, this is a much more fun activity to do with other people watching with you!  Every once in a while, I can get my husband to take part in this fun-making with me, but that's pretty rare.  I'm still trying to make friends and make a good first impression around here, so I figure it's probably in my best interest not to reveal my affinity for The Bachelor quite yet.  Which is why I am SO glad, that my sister watches "with me."  It is so fun each week to coordinate a time to "watch" together (one in Australia, one in Seattle) and exchange commentary via excessive amounts of texts throughout the episode. 

Here's a look at some of our exchanges. 

First episode commentary: 
 
 
Neither of us are really all that impressed with Sean:
 
 
On Sean's tendency to begin each episode half naked.. aaaannndd another shattered rose foreshadowing:
 
 
Excitement at the prospect of TWO episodes next week... and some more Tierra hating:
 
Oh! And if you watch the Bachelor too (Come on, I KNOW we are not the only two!), you should check out this blog.  She does hilarious recaps after each show (they are often times more entertaining than the show itself).  Beware: she's pretty vulgar in her recaps, but she is so spot-on with her evaluations of the ridiculousness of it all. 
 
*If you're living abroad and want to get access to US website such as Pandora, Hulu, Netflix, etc., check out this website called Unblock US.  Basically, for about $5 a month, you register with them and they somehow assign you a US IP Address so you can use those websites just like you would if you were in the states. I'm not sure of the technicalities of it, but it works- trust me!  You can use it on multiple devices- we have ours on our laptops and our Roku.  Life changer for sure! 

4 comments:

  1. We have a bachelor watching party here with some of the girls every Tuesday at someone's house. So much fun even if they're not a fan. You should start one, would be fun:) also, can you use that unblocking thing on the iPad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to start texting you now, too! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Those message exchanges are cracking me up. They're the only thing that ever made me want to watch the Bachelor. I like you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have faith that Lauren will convert you to be a Bachelor fan! If nothing else, you would probably enjoy the blog recaps from Jen Frase. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!