Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Monday, February 04, 2013

Recent Baking Adventures

It's no surprise that my "Sweet Tooth" board on Pinterest has the most pins out of all my boards.  I admit, I have a major sweet tooth.  And it doesn't help that I really enjoy baking (much more so than cooking).  Good thing I don't actually let myself bake all that often, or I'd really be in trouble.  Recently, I've tried two new Pinterest-inspired baking recipes that have become immediate favorites.  I'm sharing the links to the recipes below, and I highly suggest that you add these to your "must bake" list.  You won't regret it. 


**Nutella-Stuffed Brown Butter and Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies**

I've made these cookies twice and I was equally impressed both times.  I'm not going to re-type the recipe here, because I think the original recipe author deserves the credit (and I'm just too lazy for that).  Plus, her pictures and explanation are way better than mine.  Here is the link:

Nutella-Stuffed Brown Butter and Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies

A few tips from my experience baking these:

-It DOES seem like an annoying step to brown the butter, but ohmygoditmakesahugedifference!  So worth it!  I am seriously considering using browned butter every time I make any kind of cookie from here on out. 

-Speaking of browned butter- just like the recipe says, it seems to take a long time, and I started to think maybe I didn't do it right or maybe I waited too long.  Then all of a sudden you do notice that the butter starts to turn an orange-y color and it really does begin to smell nutty.  Watch it carefully, or you'll miss/burn it. 

-I found that chilling the dough did help, but for me, the time she suggested made the dough much too difficult to work with.  The second time I made these, I chilled it just for an hour and that seemed to work better for me. 

 

 
**Cabernet Ganache Swirled Brownies**

I made these just this past weekend for an "Afternoon Tea and Cake" party I was invited to.  With brownies, I am usually pretty loyal to a homemade family recipe that I've used forever, but when I saw that this recipe incorporated wine, I had to try it out.  They turned out great- so delicious!  If you didn't know there was wine in the brownies, I don't know that you would necessarily identify wine as the flavor in the brownies, but there is definitely a notably different (good!) taste to these brownies. This recipe just added more evidence to my argument that wine really does make everything better.  Here is the link:

Cabernet Ganache Swirled Brownies

A few tips from my experience baking these:
-My batter didn't seem to be as thick as it looked in the recipe pictures, but the brownies still turned out fine.  Looking back on this, it probably had something to do with me being a little heavy-handed when I poured the wine.  Oops :-)  I will measure more carefully next time. 

-The recipe author says to let the brownies set for at least a couple hours.  I didn't listen, because it was late and I HAD to try these before I went to bed, and the brownies were pretty gooey.  I like gooey brownies, but these had me a little worried.  I stuck them back in the oven for about 5 minutes (yes, with a piece already cut out), and then exercised better patience and self-control and let them set over night.  They were perfect by morning!


Happy baking!  Enjoy! :-) 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh Megan, those cookies look TO DIE FOR! Browned butter? Sea salt? NUTELLA?

    I will be saving this recipe and making it as soon as I get my hands on these ingredients, ha!

    SOOOO... I have been meaning to write you for awhile now. It was so fun receiving your message on my new little blog! That is awesome that you studied abroad in Granada while in college. I am going there at the end of March with a friend. I would LOVE any and all recommendations that you may have for me. Isn't Spain the best? I love it so much... I will not be ready to leave once June comes. But hey, it sounds like you and your husband are having the adventure of a lifetime right now. Australia is on my bucket list... one day!

    SO, a friend designed my blog header @ Heth Design, and WTF did my blog page. Although, I gotta say. I am a wordpress.com blogger and haven't yet decided if I am going to switch over to my blogger account just yet. I think I prefer wordpress, ha!

    Looking forward to following along with you now too. :) Blessings!

    theadventuresofholly.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make the cookies- you won't regret it!

      I'm going to send you some Granada suggestions on your blog!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!