Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

First Pinterest Craft Attempt

I’m fairly certain that I was one of the last people on the face of earth to jump on the Pinterest bandwagon.  I didn’t join until just a few months ago.  My reason being that I have a pretty addictive online personality- meaning that I get addicted to things like Facebook, blogs, etc. and then end up wasting more time than I’d like to admit.  I KNEW I would be obsessed with Pinterest so I purposely refused to let myself join for quite a while- especially while I was teaching (although now I kind of regret that seeing as how there are so many awesome teacher resources).   At any rate, I finally bit the bullet a few months ago, and I was right- I was almost immediately addicted.  J 

I have been pretty good about trying lots of the recipes that I’ve pinned, but I had yet to try anything crafty or DIY-y.  (Side note: I wish Pinterest would add a label or separate board or some way to mark the pins you've actually tried/created.)  Because we weren't able to bring very many decorations or wall hangings when we moved to Australia, I decided I would try and make a frame that would let me display multiple photos while at the same time covering up some of these blindingly white bare walls in the house.  Here was my pinspiration:
http://pinterest.com/pin/313281717798593690/
http://pinterest.com/pin/313281717798593691/ 

I was surprised to find out that Australia has a few of the same thrift stores we have in the states.  Here in Gladstone, we have a St. Vincent DePaul and Salvation Army.  But in true Aussie fashion, they must be abbreviated as Vinnie’s and The Salvie.  I’m trying not to shake my head and/or roll my eyes at the excessive amount of abbreviations here in Oz as I type this…   Anyways, I found the perfect frame at Vinnie’s for two bucks!  It was a pretty rough-looking white when I bought it, so after cleaning it up, I spray painted it blue.  I forgot to take a before picture.  Oops.  After it dried completely, the rest was super easy.
 
 I just used twine to create three rows for hanging pictures and secured the twine to the back with tons of hot glue. 

 
 Then I used the mini clothespins (or pegs as they call them here) to clip the photos into the frame. 

I like that I can easily change out the photos at any time.  I think it turned out pretty well for a first time Pinterest craft by someone who is not particularly crafty!  I’m thinking about trying to make a Christmas wreath (similar to this one) for the front door next.  You can follow me on Pinterest at username: Meggers315!

7 comments:

  1. This came out really cute! I love the blue too so bright and fun! I have been seeing a pin similar to this I wanna create myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Give it a try- it was super easy!

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm...this frame needs more pictures of dogs to be complete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute Megan! And... I'm not on Pinterest yet. My goal is to be the last person on earth to join it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!! I need to do this for our Christmas cards!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh- good idea to use it for Christmas cards! I might have to switch it out for just that during this holiday season. Visited your blog- love it! Your baby bump is adorable. Look forward to following along

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!