Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Monday, November 12, 2012

My New Bird Friend...


Australia has some seriously weird different animal life.  I knew to expect the ginormous bugs, snakes, etc., but what I did not expect was the crazy amount of birds that are so different than anything I’m used to seeing in the States. 
On the positive side of things, I still can’t get over the fact that I see kookaburras on a daily basis.  There is a big eucalytus tree (or gum tree) across the street from our house where heaps of them can always be found. 
 
Each morning at around 5 AM (unfortunately, I know this because I am usually up at this hour to take David to work), you can hear them doing their crazy kookaburra call/laugh.  I kid you not, it sounds like monkeys laughing.  Not that I’ve ever heard monkeys laugh, but if they did laugh it would totally sound just like THIS
Recently, this bird has started occupying our little porch area.  He sits right by the window and just stares at you.   In this picture, he’s fluffing his feathers for me.  So cute and harmless, right?

 
I recently learned that this bird is called a magpie (which is why I named the one in the picture above Maggie, duh).  I also recently learned that this is their breeding season.  Apparently, these suckers get extremely territorial during their breeding season, and if you happen to be out walking or God forbid, riding a bike, they seriously will start swooping at you trying to peck your head. I swear- I couldn’t make this up if I tried.



I didn’t believe it, until on my way to work the other morning I saw a little girl getting swooped/stalked by one as the poor thing rode her bike to school.  To protect themselves from these attacks, Aussies do this to their bike helmets.
 
Between the deadly snakes, crazy scary ocean-life, and spiders the size of your face, I’m not sure if I’ll make it out of here alive. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello friend! I got your sweet comment on my blog and I wanted to respond to it but you are a non-reply blogger. Anyway I am a new follower now and cant wait to see what else you are up to over there! I am dying to go to the land down under and you are lucky enough to actually live there! Cant wait to "get to know you" better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know I was a no reply blogger! Thanks for the heads up! I THINK I fixed it... so hopefully next time I comment, it'll work! :-)

      Delete
  2. Watch your head, seester! But, maybe you can befriend the one that comes to your window and train it to be a guard-bird!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!